The Literary Luncheon takes place in March of each year. It is AAUW Laguna Beach’s largest annual fundraiser. This special event gives us a wonderful opportunity to get together with friends, colleagues, and branch members to hear outstanding women authors while raising funds for scholarships and worthy projects that are administered by our branch’s nonprofit arm, the 501(c)(3) AAUW Laguna Beach Foundation.
Here is a short list of some of the authors who have spoken in past years:
2019: Sejal Badani, Janet Fitch, and Anita Hughes
2018: Annabelle Gurwitch, Elizabeth Letts and Kim Hooper
2017: Donna Levin , Suzanne Redfern and Karen J. Fowler
2016: Meg Waite Clayton, Carolina De Robertis and Aline Ohanesian
Earlier: Lisa See and Maile Meloy
The event raises funds to support:
- Tutoring students in an after-school program at El Morro Elementary School (TLC).
- Scholarships for middle school girls to attend AAUW Tech Trek STEM summer camps at UC San Diego.
- Scholarships for Laguna Beach and Dana Hills high school graduating girls.
- Scholarships for college women at Saddleback, LCAD, OCC, and undergraduate women in STEM disciplines at UCI.
- Scholarships for women students at LCAD and OCC to attend the AAUW-sponsored National Conference of College Women Student Leaders (NCCWSL).
As well as supporting our above local goals, the funds also support AAUW’s goal of gender equity by funding:
- Fellowships for graduate study and research for American and international women, for study in selected professions.
- Grants for public service projects and career-related study, training, and national conferences.
- Research in educational and gender equity.
- Legal counsel for cases of sexual harassment and gender bias in academia and the workplace.
Can you Help?
Organizing a successful Literary Luncheon requires lots of hands. Can you help? If so, please contact the Literary Luncheon chair, Audrey Locke.
A very important part of the Literary Luncheon fundraiser is the Silent Auction. Can you donate items? Can you help find donors? We look for all sorts of things that make good gifts, such as:
- Service certificates
- Merchant gifts
- Boutique item
- Art Work
- Time-share or Hotel stays
- Dining certificates
- Boat excursions, etc.
March 28, 2020 • Saturday • 11:00am- 2:30pm. POSTPONED
33rd Annual Literary Luncheon Laguna Beach Festival of Women Authors at Surf & Sand Resort